...The Rest of My Life

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 11:55 AM
For the last few weeks, since I've graduated, I have really been enjoying my time off. I am still working on campus for the Biological Sciences IT Deparment, but only until the end of July. You see, July 31st is the last bouy before I hit open waters. This is the day that I am finally free. The last thing holding me down is my lease at my current apartment. Now, I am realizing that I really need to start figuring out just what the hell i'm going to do with the rest of my life. (or at least for the next year or so)

Here is a little glimpse at what I've started to do in order to plan my move to Los Angeles, California.

First of all, I'm going to need a place to live. I haven't found anything specific yet, but I've been looking at listing on Craigslist - Los Angeles, and it looks like rent is going to be in the vacinity of $800/mo. I know this sounds like a lot, but it's the price you pay to live in intoxicating weather on the beaches of the west coast. It's possible I can find something cheaper, but this is my guesstimate, just to be safe. I would really like to have a roommate I know, but chances are I may have to live with someone I have never met before. We'll see. Living alone is bascially out of the question, considering the cost of living.

Also, I have had some time to investigate job opportunities. I have been working on a list of 10 companies I'd like to work for, which looks a little something like this: (in no particular order)
1. Industrial Light and Magic
2. Universal Pictures
3. New Line Cinema
4. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
5. Warner Bros. Studios
6. Paramount Pictures
7. Miramax Films
8. 20th Century Fox
9. Sony Pictures
10. Spyglass Entertainment
Hon. Men. Lions Gate Films

These are just some of the bigger studios and productions companies, and they are all basically located in and around Los Angeles. A lot of them also have off-shoot or "independent" branches to their companies (i.e. Warner Bros. has Castlerock and Universal has Focus Films.) I'm just looking to find a PA (Production Assistant) position or some other entry level job. I am fairly confident that given the opportunity I can land a job at one of these companies and we'll see where I can go from there. There is also another resource on the web that has new listings everyday for jobs, EntertainmentCareers.Net. Anyone who is interested in finding a job in entertainment should certainly take a minute to browse throught their site.

Well, I'll be keeping everyone updated, but this is where I'm at for now. I'm ready to welcome any advice, and especially any financial support that anyone would like to donate. Take it easy.

0 comments